After the kids flew the coop, meal time for Ralph and I have come down to 3-night leftovers, take out, TV dinners, and dinners out. Cooking for two people became more inconvenient than necessary. I heard of Hello Fresh on social media last year. I signed up for their 3-meal for two people classic plan. If it is your first time to join, you get the box at 50% off! What a deal! I chose three dishes by a certain day a week before and the box was shipped and arrived the following Wednesday through UPS. I was excited when the doorbell rang! Excitement turned to disappointment, not because the food was not great nor the ingredients not fresh. I was disappointed because of the packaging. The box it came in was an oversized box and there were at least 6 ice packs. My immediate thought that it was excessive and wasteful.
Again, we enjoyed the dishes thoroughly. The dishes that we ordered were delicious. We loved it enough to encourage our daughter to sign up for the plan as well. What was best at the time was when we received the box, we had planned to go out of town to visit our daughter in North Carolina. We brought the packaged ingredients up with us and we had a great dinner for 4!
Last week, after receiving an email invite to return, I decided to give them a try again. It was simple to return. I chose the Classic Plan with 3-meals weekly, for two people. I chose a pork, a chicken and a shrimp dish. I chose the menu by Wednesday night the week before and and I got the box the following Wednesday. The box it came in this time was half the size that from last year. It measured 11in X 14in X 14in and only had two packs of ice! Watch the unpacking event below.
The meats were vacuum packed. The shrimps were deveined and shelled then packed in plastic and brown paper. The vegetables were packed in plastic bags. I am not a fan of this packaging but this is the only way they can ensure that vegetables and herbs arrive as fresh as when it left their warehouse. Everything is labeled. The seasonings come in packets or small jars. When you are ready to cook, you simply pick up the vacuum packed meat and brown paper bag with the rest of the ingredients! How awesome is that! No more ruffling through the fridge for all the ingredients. For this shipment, the only thing that was not part of the shipment was butter.
Here’s what’s for dinner:
Sweet Apple Pork Tenderloin
with Cauliflower Mash and Snap Peas
Sizzling Hoisin Shrimp
with Ginger Scallion Rice and Crispy Green Beans
over Truffled Mushroom Risotto
As I mentioned earlier, we have previously signed on the delivery plan. I share below some information that might help you decide if this is something that will work for you and your family.
- Convenient – with two busy people in the house, we don’t always make it to the grocery store. Having all the ingredients you need to prepare dinner is very convenient. It is not just convenient but a huge time saver
- Variety – our go to menu when we cannot think of anything to prepare is adobo. I know this isn’t a bad choice but it would be great if there was something else on the menu. This plan definitely gives you that. You may choose from at least 8 dishes and they are different choices every week.
- Quality – I find the quality of the ingredients to be great. This is the same for the quality of the dishes. The flavors went very well together. The dishes are like what you would find in restaurants. I may even go as far as to say they are gourmet:-)
- Easy to follow instructions – I am not a stranger to the kitchen but I am not a pro either. However, all the dishes that we have ordered have been easy to prepare. Time to prepare may vary but they are all easy to maybe moderate. They require gadgets that most kitchens already have.
- Healthy – with several choices of meals and the nutritional information available, it is easy to choose a dish that is healthy. We are not vegetarian but choose chicken and seafood as the healthier choices.
- Packaging – they have streamlined their packaging but there is no way around packaging the seasonings in small packets and jars. The box that they are packed in may be collapsed and fully recyclable. The ice packs may be removed from the plastic bag and the bag recycled. This goes for the plastic bags that the vegetables are packed in.
- Price – at $69 weekly, it can be a stretch for some families. However, if this fits your budget, it is a good value.
- No Filipino dishes – I know, I know but I had to put it there:-)
I will share reviews for all of these dishes. Look out for those posts next. In the meantime, why not try and see for yourself? This is not a sponsored post but based on our experience, it is something that we love to use. Click Hello Fresh and check it out.