I know, I know. The last thing anybody wants to read the first week into the New Year is about food, especially about eating them and not limiting intake after the holidays. But wait, this isn’t just food. This is soul food! This is melt in your mouth, crunchy goodness. Disclaimer: This is my first taste of a belly chon:-) . There might be better ones out there but this is my version and hope you like it.
Without further ado, here is the recipe for this golden dish.
Best Ever Bellychon
6-8 lbs Pork belly (we got ours from a local produce place)
1 head garlic
3 stalks lemon grass (may be found at an Oriental store),
20 pcs star anize
2 in. ginger, peeled and sliced
1 tbsp salt
1 tsp ground pepper (mix with salt)
2 tbsp soy sauce
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare the pork belly
3. If the belly is not a perfect square, you may trim it before you place the spices and herbs in. It shouldn’t really matter because it will be rolled anyway.
4. Peel garlic and crush. Peel and slice ginger. Trim lemon grass to the same size as the pork belly, lenghwise. Crush the stalk of the lemon grass slightly to release its flavor and juices.
5. Prepare the pork belly by rubbing the inside slab with salt and pepper mixture. Scatter ginger, garlic, star anise and lemon grass on belly
6. Roll the pork belly and tie with twine at 1 inch interval across the length of the belly. This part needs another set of hands to hold the belly roll while the other ties it. Some spices will fall off as you roll. Simply stuff it back in.
7. For a perfectly brown bellychon, rub the skin with soy sauce.
8. Place extra lemon grass leaves on tray and placed rack over it. Place pork belly with skin side up.
9. General rule is to bake pork for 25 min per pound of pork. For our 6.5 pounds of pork belly, we baked it for 3 hours. For shinier skin (it will be crunchy), brush skin once with coconut oil just before the 3 hour mark.
10. Let stand for 15 minutes. Slice 1-inch sizes and serve with vinegar, garlic, pepper mixture.
11. Perfect with ice cold beer or any mixed drink.
Check out the video below:
I hope you enjoy it.