I have been cooking, I mean, baking up a storm in the kitchen these past two days. My husband arrived from work today and he exclaimed, “more cookies?” Well, yes. I have 6 more to bake between now and Friday! How else will you be able to share ways to wrap cookies for holiday presents if you don’t have cookies? Duh.
This new installment is one of my favorites so far. I baked a similar one in the Red Velvet Cookie in February for Valentine’s Day. But, this is with chocolate! I was so excited to bake it.
What I love most about this is the “crinkle”. It is just pretty when the cookie cracks and the powdered sugar breaks with it. That black and white pattern is perfect. This year, I have Buffalo check prints all over the house! This is the perfect addition to the mix, and it tastes yummy, too!
Sshh, don’t tell anyone but I have a secret ingredient. Can you guess? I added 1/4 tsp almond extract and, whoa, it made this cookie even more fragrant. Come one and give a try. I would love to know how it went.
- Stand Mixer
- Hand Mixer
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 2 cups white sugar
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 4 ea eggs
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp almond extract
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle, beat cocoa powder, sugar, and vegetable oil
- Beat in eggs and vanilla and almond extracts
- In a separate bowl, mix together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Slow add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Batter will be thick
- Cover batter with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4 hours
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Place powdered sugar in a bowl
- Shape batter into 1 inch balls. Roll in powdered sugar
- Arrange 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet
- Bake for 10-12 min
- Remove from oven and let rest on the counter for 5 minutes
- Cool completely on wired rack