I hope you had a wonderful Christmas celebrating with family and friends. Ours was great as we also celebrated Zeke’s (our first grandson) first birthday. Erin and Howard flew in from New York and Donald and Megan drove down from Gainesville.
The holidays will not be complete without food shared around the table. In the case of Filipino Christmases, it may include singing karaoke as well.
This year, I prepared a new recipe shared by a dear friend, Judy. The recipe is from barefeetinthekitchen.com. I was told that this was easy to prepare and they were correct. It is also simply delicious. The tartness of the cranberries perfectly pairs with sweetness of the batter. It is a welcome surprise in every bite. It was an immediate favor especially by my husband.
You will be inclined to prepare this to future potlucks so I suggest stock up on cranberries.
Cranberry Christmas Cake Recipe
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups sugar (granulated)
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 12 oz. fresh cranberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a mixer, beat the eggs with the sugar until slightly thickened and light yellow in color, about 5-7 minutes. (I mixed for 7 minutes). The mixture should almost double in amount volume. The eggs work as leavening agent so do not skip this skip. The mixture should form a ribbon when the beaters are lifted out of the bowl.
- Add the butter and vanilla; mix two more minutes.
- Stir in the flour until just combined.
- Add cranberries and stir to mix throughout (Note: I found it hard to stir inside the mixer so I mixed manually until mixed throughout)
- Spread in buttered 9×13 pan (Note: I used a Pampered Chef stoneware the first time and an aluminum pan the next time. There was no difference in quality)
- Bake 4-50 minutes, or until very lightly browned and a toothpick inserted near the center of the cake comes out clean. (Note: I baked mine for 50 min in the stoneware and 45 minutes in the aluminum pan)
- Let cool completely before cutting into small slices. Note: service size is more than one slice:-)